Monday 10 May 2010

CHINTZ RULES




I've been collecting Dutch artist Esther Derkx's 'Improved' crockery for a few years now - she gives old china a new lease of life by screenprinting pieces with retro images of dancers and athletes in complementary hues. They're a bit tongue in cheek (the models are sporting serious catalogue poses) and a hint risque (lots of lingerie and lithe bodies), which is kind of why I love them. Personally I prefer the ceramics with minimal floral patterns, so I seek out the plainer pieces that have been 'improved'. I get that the screenprints are supposed to enhance the original details but for me, keeping it simpler makes the saucy bits stand out more!

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Absolutely gorgeous. Where's the best place to get these, Sarah? I have some birthday's coming up and they would make perfect gifts! B

    ReplyDelete