Monday 19 July 2010

EASY PEASY LEMON SQUEEZY


Sundays are made for friends and relaxing so I did a lot of both yesterday. A lazy afternoon in Holland Park with barbequed salmon and tomato cous cous, a walk in the sunshine and a lot of banter. I whipped up a pudding (it's become like my calling card!). This one was so simple I almost didn't notice I'd done it. I don't even have a proper recipe for it, but here's sort of description that should suffice - and then you can put your own spin on it too.

Did I Just Make That Lemon & Ginger Cheesecake?

1 packet of ginger nuts
A knob of butter
2 medium sized tubs of cream cheese
1 medium sized pot of double cream
1 lemon
Caster sugar
A handful of crystalized ginger

Bash the ginger biscuits into crumbs (I did this inside a clean tea towel with a rolling pin - very therapeutic!)
Decant into a saucepan with the butter over a low heat. Stir as the butter melts and the crumbs start to stick together.
Pour the crumbs into the base of a tin (with a removable base), press down so they are compact and pop into the freezer for ten minutes.
Chuck the cream cheese and double cream into a bowl, add the juice and rind of the lemon and mix.
Add caster sugar, a dessert spoon full at a time and taste the mixture in between. I like mine to be more tart, but you might prefer it a little sweeter...
Chop 2/3 of the ginger into small pieces and stir in.
Spoon the mixture onto the ginger biscuit base and refrigerate for a couple of hours.
Before serving chop and scatter the rest of the ginger to decorate.

NB: Sorry for all the hydrangeas in these pics - I have a garden full!

No comments:

Post a Comment